Air Conditioning Basics
In the summer heat, it’s hard to under-appreciate the air conditioner. But, just because everyone loves to enjoy that cold air on a hot day doesn’t mean homeowners understand much about how they work. When homeowners are left in the dark about their home’s critical systems, they can accumulate repair bills and needlessly waste electricity with lost efficiency.
Take back control of the home. This guide from local air conditioning experts can help homeowners learn the basics about their home’s cooling system and how to care for it better so it will last longer and keep everyone more comfortable.
Options for Air Conditioners
One of the first things to learn about air conditioners is the variety of options available for cooling homes and businesses. Too many people shopping for a new air conditioning system don’t know what options are available to them simply because they have no experience with anything other than what is installed in their home. Luckily, the types of air conditioners can be boiled down to two main options:
- Central Air Conditioning: This is the option that most people are familiar with. For over 50 years, central air conditioning has been the most common choice for air conditioning in homes, especially in new construction. Central air conditioning uses a central blower and a network of air ducts to distribute cold air.
- Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioning: Innovations in air conditioning led to discoveries that central air conditioning isn’t as efficient as possible because of the energy loss that occurs in air ducts, and they cool the entire home instead of only occupied spaces. Ductless mini split air conditioners reduce utility bills by cooling only the desired rooms and because they don’t need air ducts to work. Mini-splits use special blowers to cool the home in zones, allowing different parts of the house to be set to different temperatures.
When to Schedule AC Repairs
Regardless of the style of the air conditioner, there will come a time when AC repairs are necessary. Scheduling air conditioner repairs at the first sign of trouble can help prevent the problem from growing. Some of the early signs that air conditioner repair may be needed are:
- Inconsistent cooling
- Higher than normal cooling bills
- Water leaks around the unit
- Strange noises like grinding or squealing
Calling for professional help as soon as possible is always the best thing to do so any damage doesn’t worsen. Problems that are caught early can often be repaired in a single visit.
Benefits of AC Maintenance
To avoid unnecessary air conditioner repairs, homeowners must stick to a maintenance plan with professional help. Air conditioner maintenance can help AC units last longer, need repairs less often, and save money through better efficiency. Annual maintenance on the AC by a qualified technician is recommended to maximize these benefits.
For homeowners, ensure air filters are always changed on time. Air filters reduce dust and grime in the home and inside air conditioners. Get on a schedule and ensure air filters are replaced at least every three months or more often if a home has pets or allergy sufferers.
About Total Comfort Solutions
Total Comfort Solutions is a family-owned and operated business serving its neighbors in Walla Walla, WA, and the surrounding areas for over a decade. They provide straightforward pricing, free installation estimates, and a worry-free process. Call them today for air conditioning services in Walla Walla, WA.