Stay Cool This Summer with These Easy Tips
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Washington State is getting hotter. A 2016 study reports that within the last 100 years, the state’s temperature has increased by one to two degrees Fahrenheit. This may not seem like much to some. However, this causes various weather changes that make walking outside feel like walking into an oven.
There are many things homeowners can do this season to enjoy the summer without overheating. The main thing is to make sure the air conditioning unit works properly. Some considerations include routine AC maintenance, exploring AC replacement, and using ceiling fans.
Air Conditioner Maintenance Is Key to the Perfect Home Temperature
It seems like air conditioners know the most inconvenient times to break down. However, by routinely maintaining one’s HVAC system, homeowners can prevent their units from going out of commission. Some AC maintenance tips include:
- Changing the air filter: EnergyStar reports that homeowners should change their air filters once every three months – and perhaps more often if they have pets. The air filter lets the AC system “breathe.” It also keeps dust, dander, and other debris from clogging the system.
- Keeping the AC system on: Even during the winter, Washingtonians should keep their AC systems on, even if for a few minutes a day. This way, they can learn about any problems faster instead of learning about them when summer rolls around, and the AC is crucial.
- Promptly addressing any issues: Air conditioning problems don’t fix themselves. These issues need the help of a trained professional. The longer one waits to get an expert opinion, the more problems they risk.
Many other tasks are also involved in maintaining an air conditioning system, but they should be left to a trained professional. They know how to avoid damaging the unit and can better spot any issues forming.
Homeowners Should Periodically Consider New AC Systems
The U.S. Department of Energy notes that the average AC system lasts anywhere from 15 to 20 years. The organization also notes that even if a system is only ten years old, homeowners could save up to 40 percent in energy bills by getting a newer system.
When considering AC replacement, it’s important that homeowners also consider:
- The size of the home: Consider the home’s square footage when shopping for a new AC system. After all, AC units come in different sizes. The size of the AC unit should suit the home’s square footage. Otherwise, it may not work efficiently.
- What type of AC system they want: Some AC systems have more advantages than others. For instance, many homeowners are opting for ductless air conditioners. These systems allow homeowners to have more control over their residences’ temperatures.
- EnergyStar AC units: EnergyStar’s air conditioning units use less energy than most systems on today’s market. Some even qualify for tax credits.
If one wants a new AC system, they shouldn’t just buy the first one they see. They should consult with an air conditioner replacement service to explore their options.
Put Those Ceiling Fans To Work
The home’s ceiling fans and AC system work in perfect harmony. The AC system emits cool air while ceiling fans circulate that cool air. During the summer, homeowners should make their ceiling fan’s direction counterclockwise to make the air feel cooler. Homeowners can save some money on their energy bills this summer by turning up the thermostat by a few degrees and using fans to make up for it.
Homeowners should also consider the benefits of using air purifiers or even desktop fans. Both of these things can work together to help create the perfect indoor climate.
About Total Comfort Solutions
Total Comfort Solutions is a family-owned and operated company serving the residents of Walla Walla, WA, and the surrounding areas since 2008. They provide straightforward pricing, 24-hour emergency services, and free installation estimates. Call them today for air conditioning services in Walla Walla, WA.